Budgeting training is often a difficult chore as plans are often based on training an “average person.” (Clark 2010). Remember that budgeting also needs to include any training as well as paying yourself. I didn't even think of this. I think budget I think of all the materials but I didn't think of direct costs (Portny et al p 125). Direct costs are everything from salary to materials.
Interesting Chart to me:
Retrieved from Clark (2010).
Instructional Designer - $28.00 hour (based on salary of $60,000 per year)
- eLearning designer - $37.00 hour (based on salary of $78,000 per year)
- Organizational Specialist - $38.46 (based on salary of $80,000 per year)
- Outside Consultant - $90.00 hour
I also found Fenton a useful link, not only has she also been a Walden student her insight I also found useful sources. After reading and realizing how much we are linking I found that her one site was one that I already explored. I did also find. http://www.bnhexpertsoft.com/english/products/advent/module4.htm A very detailed table was displayed that allowed me to realize breakdown at a much higher level. I was previously struggling on how much to break down a topic but realized the more the breakdown the better the understanding. Although it may seem simple and over done to me it is important to have this breakdown.
The best site I found was http://www.designingforlearning.info/services/writing/nutshell.htm by Judith Boettcher. She lays out a numbered list of the “steps” of instructional design. We are complex people and budget is just a part of it. Budget is listed in 4 of the 12 steps in the breakdown of the process. I especially loved number 12 on her list of putting instructional design in a simpler form. “Instructional Design is not simple or straightforward” (Boettcher 2010). This is so true!
Resources:
Boettcher, Judith (2010). Instructional Design in a Nutshell retrieved from:
Clark, Don (2007) Estimating time and cost in instructional design Retrieved from: http://www.nwlink.com/~donclark/hrd/costs.html
Fenton, Annilisa (2010). Instructional Design Project BudgetingTools
November 30, 2010 Retrieved from: http://annilisa.wordpress.com/
Greer, M. (2010). The project management minimalist: Just enough PM to rock your projects! (Laureate custom ed.). Baltimore: Laureate Education, Inc.
Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ:
John Wiley & Sons, Inc
Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI think Greer make a good point about how time, effort and cost are important factors when estimating cost. You have some very help resources. Thanks for your input.
Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI also used the Big Dog, Little Dog site. I thought that it had very detailed and helpful information. Your cost estimates chart was also very informative. I found it interesting. However, the BNH site confused me a bit. Where was the chart that you found helpful, because I didn't see anything that made any sense to me on that site? Lol
Nicole
ReplyDeleteThe chart with multiple project managers. I didn't think of it that way.