Saturday, April 2, 2011

Connectivism Reflection

Technology has changed my entire life. When in high school, the internet became the newest thing. I couldn't wait to download music, email friends, talk on instant messaging.
Sometimes for the good and something for the bad technology has changed the world. Many times I stand in a store and hear a cell phone ring. There is always someone talking very loudly and I cringe. I think back when there was peace in a store. As a cringe, I realize many times this is also me. My husband will call with something else, or a parent with a need.
With technology changing in that way for the way, for the good technology has allowed me to connect with others across the country to learn. I also read faster because I use my kindle to read books and saves me time then searching hours at a book store. I still head to a book store at times but many times I run to my computer and log onto amazon.com and find the newest book. I think digital tools that best help with my learning are my computer (internet, word, etc) and my kindle. I find myself craving to read. I guess with technology I should also include my smart phone. The smart phone has allowed me to make a schedule to continue my education.
With technology, my knowledge is also used through text messaging. From a phone it is also possible to google through text messaging. It is useful when looking for a phone number or a place.
My own knowledge expands through communication and finding supporting articles through the internet. As a mother, I do not always have the time to head to a library to look through endless articles for answer. The connections to knowledge expand from google feed reader to facebook. I also expand and have discussions with other mothers on babycenter. To continue my connection to my students I often check celebrity websites to keep up with the things my students like to discuss. My husband is an avid craiglist fan, so I also have to upload photos and research items he wants to purchase.
“The internet functions according to a different sequence of rules, guidelines, codes of conduct, and points of value then does the physical world. A necessary reorganization is underway, resulting in new metaphors of learning and existence as a whole” (Siemens 2006)
With that being said, technology is here to stay and will continue to develop our learning environments.


Siemens, George (2006) Connectivism: Learning Theory or Pastime for the Self-Amused. November 12, 2006: http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism_self-amused.htm Retrieved April 2, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment