Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Communicating Effectively-


My first instinct of all communication was, the worst will be email. I hate getting any email because the tone can be misinterpreting.

When first reading the email, I read it for what it was worth, as I would read any email I receive. I first took it as a negative email, urgent and eager. I took time and read again, attempting to read between the lines. I believe it was meant to be sincere but with urgency. I then reread again, and tried to to not read into anything. There is also time difference in email (People Communicating 2010). Although now many people carry smart phones, as I do to keep up with busy lives, it doesn't automatically mean they will answer promptly. A benefit of email is taking an informal meeting and putting into formal communication. I enjoy when my meetings are then given a summary and emailed to me. (Portny, Mantel, Meredith, Shafer & Sutton p 357).

The voice mail was very urgent and it sounded it very negative. Communication in a voice mail can be perceived many different ways. Individuals can trying and figure out the tone or take it very negatively. Personally, at the beginning it sounded very negative but then changed to a positive tone. “We compensate for the absence of nonverbal cues by adding more weigh to the words being said and the tone of voice being used” (People Communicating 2010).

Face to face communication was sincere and the tone allowed for the recipient to understand there is acknowledgment of the time restraints the day had but the appreciation to help one another is also there. Body language plays an important role in the face to face communication. The way the posture is, the hands. And facial expressions can make the information instantly positive or negative. “Body language makes it easy to know if someone is nervous, scared, interested, or focused, among many other feelings that could be happening” (Types of Communication 2012).

Communication is always something that can have its own interpretations. If you are a person who like to have face to face, then email is not a way to communicate. You will constantly read to deep into the email, and the blinking voice mail light can make you crazy. The one on one communication reaches you first. “The key to successful project manage is effective communication- sharing the right messages with the right people in a timely manner” (Portny et al. p 357).


Resources:

People Communicating (2010). Face to Face Communication, Retrieved From: http://www.people-communicating.com/face-to-face-communication.html

Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ:
John Wiley & Sons, Inc

Types of Communication (2012) Communication through Body Language, Retrieved from: http://www.typesofcommunication.org/communication/nonverbal-communication/communication-through-body-language/

9 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    I'm so glad that you said "Communication is always something that can have its own interpretations." This is so true. I for one found the email to be the most cordial of the three messages. Like you, I found the voice-mail to convey the most urgency and agree that it had a bit of a negative tone. I thought the face-to-face communication seemed insincere. My primary means of communicating at work is through email so I guess that is what I prefer. I have become accustomed to not "reading between the lines" where email is concerned; I just take what is written at face value. To me, the voice-mail and face-to-face communication sent mixed-messages; they were saying "please" and "I appreciate it", but it did not sound or look that way. It just goes to show how we all interpret these things differently.

    Thanks,
    Brandey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandey

    It honestly think it depends on your career in which you are most comfortable with responding. I would rather have a meeting face to face depending on the topic. As a teacher, I find many times what I am saying does not have the full effect to a parent in an email or phone call as in person. Showing them the work, providing examples, emphasizes a point.
    Like you said, we all think differently.
    Thanks for the response

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,
    Picture the girl in the face-to-face message and tell me what her place is in the company. To me she comes off as low level or very new. If she were a manager she would last about two minutes. Body language makes it easy to know if someone is nervous, scared, interested, or focused, among many other feelings that could be happening Types of Communication (2012). If the information she was talking about needs to be finished is as important as she says it is she better make sure the urgency is understood and respected.

    You quoted, “The key to successful project manage is effective communication- sharing the right messages with the right people in a timely manner” (Portny et al. p 357). I would like to add to that, in the right way. Nonverbal communication either confirms or contradicts verbal messages People Communicating (2010). I found that her body language seemed to contradict the verbal message. I have worked in enough offices to know that a meek demeanor will destroy you as fast as anything. People are always testing each other to see who dominate. I know a lot of people who would respond that that face-to-face message by never turning the work in at all, just to show that they had the power to mess her up and get away with it. Of course I've worked in banking for years but I think it is basically same everywhere.

    References:
    People Communicating (2010). Face to Face Communication, Retrieved From: http://www.people-communicating.com/face-to-face-communication.html

    Types of Communication (2012) Communication through Body Language, Retrieved from: http://www.typesofcommunication.org/communication/nonverbal-communication/communication-through-body-language/

    Portny, S. E., Mantel, S. J., Meredith, J. R., Shafer, S. M., Sutton, M. M., & Kramer, B. E. (2008). Project management: Planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry

      I think the girl could of been either a new employee or one that has been scorned and had confrontation before with this employee.
      I find the approach and facial expressions change people's view of you. For example: I am currently on 3 very busy committees at my school. I had to ask a few teachers for assistance and one does not like extra work. My approach was a very happy, stance but saying I hate to ask you for this, but can you help me with this. My stance was very positive, I continued saying, I know I have asked for quite a few things lately, but I really need to have something very little from you, to benefit you. Her response was Sure no problem. I think if I would of came in differently, I would of got a different response from her.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    Nice post! I did the same as you when reviewing the email post. I read it several times in different ways and added one option you may not have thought about which is time frame. Read the message again but consider the message being sent after waiting one day for the information then read it again where the person has been waiting three weeks for the information. Dr. Stolovitch discusses the time frame of the messages with the three project managers (Laurette, 2010). When I saw that in the video (I played the video several times to catch everything) I went back to the assignment and reviewed the communication for different time frames - it was interesting how my thoughts changed.


    I also had a personal experience with Instant Message (IM) and my message being misconstrued. A colleague of mine accepted another position at the firm that I knew he was interested in doing for some time. I congratulated him on the new position and apparently how I worded the congratulations he misunderstood as me saying he was not suited for the job he just left. I had only wanted to convey how happy and excited I was for him; however he interpreted my comments in a way I did not see at all. He was so upset by the comments that he asked my manager to have me not speak to him again. I was so upset that this person would take my comments so differently than my intention that I was afraid to say anything through print for a long time. It would take me days to send an email because I needed to make sure that my message was clear. As Dr. Stolovich says, "ambiguity kills" (Laurette, 2010). I have tried to be clear but I also realize, and especially after taking these courses, it is almost impossible for any message to not be misunderstood.

    Helene

    Reference

    Stolovitch, H. (2012). Communicating with Stakeholders. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=6493367&Survey=1&47=8529723&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helene
    I read again and watched again. I think you are right that body language does change things as well as the voice mail.
    I watch how I word things many times as well. I am sorry for the experience.
    I am careful also what I put into email. My boss knows I struggle to find myself words in google chat for school so many times, I just speak to her in person. It is easier to communicate my thoughts clearly verbally.
    Sad to think that he could not come speak to you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeth,
    I agree with you that body language is a big part of face-to-face communication. I think in the video of the face-to-face conversation, Jane was not very convincing, and certainly not very assertive. When we are talking about body language, we look at the body itself and the face (People Communicating, 2010). Jane smiled quite a bit, which to me was a a bit too nice and did not reflect the importance and urgency of her request. I feel that the email was more effective in this case, because it comes across as more urgent, and although she may not have meant it to be harsh, it may be construed as that, and to me, that is not necessarily a bad thing because it conveys the importance of the message. Would you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think email can be too pushy and irritate people. Many times I feel that way. I feel like people are trying to tell me what to do because it is convenient to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth,
    I agree with what you said about body language. Body language is a very important part of communication. Non-verbals are almost as important as the message itself. You should always make sure you are conveying the appropriate non-verbal messages when communicating with others.

    ReplyDelete